Our Story

Zelley Jewellers is a long established family jewellers now in it’s fourth generation. This shop is our window to the world but we have strong roots as a retail premises.

The Start

Over 100 years ago Frederick John Zelley opened a jewellery shop in Bishop’s Stortford where a close branch of our family tree remains. Although a totally independent business to ours, we stay in regular contact, helping one another where possible.

The 40’S

In the 1940’s one of Fredrick’s two sons, Claude, moved to Norwich where he took over from Albert Ames, a prominent jeweller who was selling the business due to retirement.

We still serve customers and see jewellery originally brought from the Lower Goat Lane shop.

1982

The family business finds itself in a new premises on St. Giles Street where we remain today.

The shop was previously ‘W.J BODDY & SON LTD’. Being able to purchase the building then has allowed us the freedom to do things at our own pace now.

The 90’s

Business is ticking along nicely at a time that clocks fill the walls and cabinets. As Claude slowly releases control of the business to his son Howard (pictured), the business begins to move into the antique and pre-owned articles we are now well known for.

Now

The business is run by both Howard and Alistair Zelley. Alistair being fourth generation, grew up in the shop surrounded by antique and vintage jewellery gaining a wealth of knowledge as well as a passion for the trade. Despite significant modernisation the business stays true to its origins keeping a full retail premises open five days a week as well as a workshop employing not only traditional methods but modern, most importantly of all investment in laser welding technology.